Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bialys

This is one of those recipes I'd been eyeing off for a while, but hadn't yet go around to trying tit. These were doughy (as opposed to bready) rolls infused with onion.

These took a while to make, there was no waiting overnight for the poolish or biga, but as it was a straight dough method, you had to hang around from the very beginning to the very end to give the yeast all the love and attention it desires (it it likes quite a lot). 

These were nice. They taste more along the lines of a bagel, chewey, not crunchy. Apparently they were first made by Jewish bakers in Bialystock in Poland. Then some bakers moved to New York, and so the goodness spread!

3 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

yUMMM I LIKE BAGELS SO THESE WILL SURELY BE DELICIOUS. :)

Katie said...

How interesting! They certainly look wonderful.

gaga said...

I LOVE bialy, but it's not always easy to find. Now I don't have to worry about that becuase I can make my own! Thanks.