Friday, July 3, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Tart

I've been having problems setting pastry cream of late. I swear I cook it until it is thick and boiling, then leave it on the heat for a couple of minutes more. Yet time and time again my cream is not setting up very well. It turns into this gooey mass... a tasty gooey mass, yet not a very elegant mass when it is cut into slices. I don't want to use corn products in my baking unless it is fresh corn (although I do make some exceptions especially when I use chocolate or am making a candy) so I've been using potato starch instead of corn starch in the pastry cream. I'm wondering if this may be my downfall?

Anyway, back to the tart. A strawberry and rhubarb puree was made and then placed on a tart base (this wasn't a pate sucree...as I ran out of pastry flour. So I made an old tart base that I hadn't made i
n ages). I then put on the pastry cream and on top of that some strawberries. A very simple tart but devastatingly good.

3 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

what a nice tart! I ve never tried strawberry and rhubarb since here it s not very popular.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to read that you are making a concerted effort to avoid corn products in your baking. Is it harder than you first expected it would be? Corn is everywhere! The tart looks delicious even if it didn't set up quite like you wanted.

Anyway, I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Jennifer said...

Lovely tart! Strawberry and rhubarb are one of my favorite combinations. I hope you can get the pastry cream figured out! Trial and error, oh the joys of baking :)