Thursday, March 12, 2009

Blood Orange

Another reserve. Yeah, I'm kinda obsessed with preserving at the moment. I really do think it's because I miss fruit so much. This is another Christine Ferber preserve, made with blood oranges, as well as some Navel oranges for a little color.

This preserve set well. In her recipes Ferber never uses pectin in a liquid or gel form. The recipes simply call for green apples and the pectin naturally present in the apples works as the thickening agent. However, it doesn't always seem to work. With some jams/preserves being quite watery, although this could simply be due to my lack of experience in making them. This one worked well, it tastes very sweet, but the color is amazing, and it's all natural!

3 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

I love blood oranges and preserve is a nice way of having them all year round :)

Elyse said...

Preserves are such a great way to savor the flavor of your favorite fruit at any time! Blood orange preserves sound particularly great!

Unknown said...

I love making jams/preserves. I will have to find and try the recipe myself to see if I can come close to your skills!