It's a method thing. I realized that previously I had written out the recipe for these but failed to give the method, which when I made them multiple times, I realized made a huge difference to the end product.
Main tips: Do not over-mix and make sure to sift the flour.
Red Velvet Cup Cakes Take Two
2.5 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs Dutch Processed cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1.5 cups granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
3 Tbs red food coloring
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350F, put cup cake wrappers in cup cake baking mold.
2. Sift the flour, salt and cocoa powder into a bowl.
3. Warm the butter up in a microwave for around 15 seconds to get it to room temperature, then place in a mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix.
4. Slowly add the granulated sugar to the butter.
5. Add the red food coloring and vanilla extract to the buttermilk and stir together.
6. Add the eggs, one at a time mixing between each egg to the sugar butter mixture.
7. Add 1/3 of the flour/salt/cocoa mixture to the and mix until just integrated.
8. Add 1/3 buttermilk mixture and mix until integrated. Repeat steps 6 & 7 another two times.
9. In a small bowl add the vinegar and baking soda together.
10. Immediately fold into batter.
11. Fill up the cup cake papers around 1/3 of the way.
12. Bake immediately, rotating 15 min into baking then bake another 6 or so min until a toothpick comes out clean.
13. Let cool, then ice.