This is a rich cheesecake with the slight taste of blueberries. I had some issues baking this one. The picture above is of the cake before it was baked, the one below is when it was baked. I baked it for around 3 hours - far, far over the 50-60min baking time. I'm sure there are better recipes out there for a cheesecake, but I would absolutely make the blueberry syrup again, as I think it's stunning!
2.5 oz shortbread cookies
1/2 cup almond meal
1.5 oz melted butter
Ingredients: Blueberry syrup
7.5 oz fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
20 oz cream cheese, at room temp
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Process the blueberries in a food processor and press through a sieve (you should end up with 1/2 cup of puree).
2. Place the puree and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Rapidly simmer for 8 or so min, until it thickens.
3. Set aside to cool.
1. Process the cookies in a food processor until crushed.
2. Add the almond meal, and butter and process until combined.
3. Grease a 9 inch springform pan, and line the base with parchment paper.
4. Press the crumb mixture over the base and place in the fridge.
1. Preheat the oven to 280F.
2. Process the cream cheese either with a paddle attachment or in a food processor until very smooth, make sure there are no lumps, and make sure that you use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides and the bottom.
3. Add the sour cream, eggs, sugar and vanilla, and process till smooth.
1. Pour the filling over the base.
2. Drizzle the blueberry mixture over the top and swirl lightly with a butter knife.
3. Bake for 1 hour (or until set - not having made many cheesecakes before this was an ambigious remark- which confused me to no end. If it's wiggly - is it set? How solid does it have to be to be set?!)
4. Refridgerate and serve cold.
Taken from the sometimes good, but very pretty Donna Hay Modern Classics Book 2: Cookies, Biscuits + Slices, Small Cakes, Cakes, Desserts, Hot Puddings, Pies + Tarts, p. 86.
- ► 2009 (74)
- ► 2008 (90)