This cake turned out to be a moist, dense and rather rich cake, especially served with the cream fraiche sauce.
1 lb. 2 oz raw beets (I used yellow beets)
2 thumb sized pieces of fresh ginger, finely chopped
3 large eggs, separated
5.5 fluid oz. honey
3/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 heaping tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup polenta
zest and orange juice of 1 orange
pinch of salt
pinch of ground allspice
pinch of cinnamon
1.25 cups of all-purpose flour
Ingredients: Topping (optional)
7 oz creme fraiche
1 wineglass of vin santo, Marsala or sherry
2 heaped Tbs. sugar
1. Boil the beets until soft, and then drain and allow to cool a little. Rub the skins off, and then mash until smooth.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F.
3. Put the beet puree, ginger, egg yolks, honey, vanilla extract and olive oil in a bowl, Whisk together.
4. Add the baking powder, polenta, orange juice and juice, salt, allspice, cinnamon and flour and mix.
5. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff, and fold them into the mixture.
6. In a 10-inch springform pan (I only have a 9 inch) grease and flour the cake tin.
7. Pour in the mixture. Bake for around 35min until spongy. (a toothpick should come out clean).
8. Allow to cool.
1. Whisk together creme fraiche, with the alcohol, add the sugar, and perhaps add some vanilla extract. Adjust to taste.
From Jamie Oliver's Jamie's Kitchen, pp. 278-9.
- ► 2009 (74)
- ► 2008 (90)