I had a bunch of eggs whites left over from making the custard for the strawberry tart - so I had to use them. I thought I'd have a go at this recipe for a gooey sweet - nougat.
2 cups of sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup honey
2 egg whites
1 Tbs rum
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup roasted hazelnuts
1. Line a baking tray with parchment paper (make it a small baking tray for thicker nougat - mine was quite thin due to the large baking tray).
2. Place the sugars (honey, corn syrup, and sugar) in a saucepan and stir over medium low heat until dissolved.
3. Boil until the mixture reaches 250F - remove from heat.
4. Using a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form.
5. Slowly, while the mixer is on low, pour 1/4 of the sugar syrup into the egg whites.
6. Beat for 5 min on the medium setting.
7. Place the rest of the syrup back on the stove top. Heat until it reaches 290F.
8. While the mixer is still mixing, slowly pour in the remainder of the sugar mixture.
9. Beat until very thick.
10. Add the rum, and butter.
11. Beat for another 5 min.
12. Stir in the hazelnuts with a metal spoon.
13. Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and smooth the top with an off set spatula.
14. Place in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
15. Cut into pieces with a knife and wrap in individual wrappers.
Mostly taken from: "Sweet Food" ed. Kate Scarlett pp. 300-01.