1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 sticks unsalted butter
2/3 cup confectioners sugar
1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Sift the flour and cocoa together.
2. Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on low speed until soft and smooth.
3. Add the confectioners sugar and mix until the butter is smooth.
4. Add the egg yolk, salt, pepper, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
5. Add the flour and cocoa mixture in 3 additions, beating on low speed - just until incorporated.
6. Put the dough onto a work surface and divide it in half.
7. With each half form it into a 6 inch long rod.
8. Wrap them in glad wrap, and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours (you can freeze these, or they can be refrigerated for up to 4 days).
9. Preheat the oven to 350F.
10. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
11. Cut dough into rounds that are 1/2 inch thick, and place on the baking sheet.
12. Bake for 14-16 min, making sure that at the 7 min mark you swap the trays around from top to bottom and from back to front.
13. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Dorrie Greenspan again, pp. 128-129