Monday, October 20, 2008

Cranberry and Spice Bundt

This past week I have been working on cakes. And, I have to say I don't love them half as much as I love making tarts. There seems to be far less fresh produce used, and this week we made many cakes that seemed, well, very similar. We basically stuck to using a kugelhopf pan (basically a smaller version of a bundt). So, I wasn't utterly thrilled with cakes, but I thought I'd attempt to apply my knowledge at home. I found this lovely recipe in this months (well I guess technically next months - November) Bon Appetite. From one of my favorite bakers Dorrie Greenspan. 

It consists of a spicy cake with Chinese five spice, which unfortunately I didn't have. So I simply used a mortar and pestle to grind up cloves, fennel seeds, cinnamon, and ginger and called it good. The U-districts farmers market  http://www.seattlefarmersmarkets.org/markets/u_district had fresh, beautiful cranberries. So I bought a punnet, and used some in Dorries recipe. I also used dried cherries instead of dried cranberries because that's what I had hanging around in the cupboard. I changed the icing as well, because I don't like orange, so I used a cherry liquor, a bit of milk and then a bunch of sifted icing sugar for the recipe. 

This was a seriously nice cake, packed full of goodies. Highly recommended!

6 comments:

redmenace said...

This looks gorgeous. Lovely presentation and I'm quite sure it's delicious!

Snooky doodle said...

yummy i love spices in desserts. This cake looks gorgeous and bit christmasy too :-) well done

Lisa Turner said...

Another fantastic creation! How lucky are the folks who get to try your baking!

test it comm said...

That cake looks good with the pink drizzle!

Anonymous said...

Your baked goods look incredible! I'm craving something like this right now. I bet it tastes delicious nice and warm with a cup of tea! YUM!

Ms Ashley said...

Oh this look sooo good! I thought about making this into cupcakes!

I've tagged you on my blog. You're one of my favorites and an inspiration to me! See http://cupcakingirl.blogspot.com/ for more details!