This is a very special cake to me. My nana and opa would make this for special occasions, I loved the cream, and chocolate outside combined with the slightly sour cherries in the middle. This is a simple cake with only one layer. You easily can up the snobbery by adding more layers, you may have to make more of the cherry filling, or you can simply fill those layers with cream.
3/4 cup cake flour
1/3 cup dutch-process cocoa
1/8 tsp. baking soda
5 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
3/4 cup + 2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup warm (100-110F) clarified butter
Ingredients: Brandy Syrup
1/4 cup brandy
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
Ingredients: Cherry Filling
1 jar (24 fluid oz) of sour cherries (I use http://www.bende.com/ecommerce/shopdetails.cfm?p=88&cat=27)
2 Tbs. corn starch
1 Tbs. Brandy
1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Ingredients: Cream and fixin's
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 tsp. sugar
Grated semi-sweet Chocolate (optional)
8 maraschino cherries (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F (put a rack on the lower 1/3 of the oven).
2. Generously grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan.
3. Sift the flour , cocoa, and baking soda together 4 times.
4. Place a bowl over slightly simmering water, put in the eggs (including the two yolks) and the sugar and mix to just combine - but do not whisk together.
5. Stir for 3-5 min until the colour darkens, the mixture is slightly runny, and the temperature of the eggs is between 110-120F.
6. Remove the bowl from the simmering water and place the egg mixture in a large bowl.
7. Using a whisk, whisk the eggs on high speed until they are cool. This should take between 4-5min. The mixture should be light, and thick (when you run a finger through the eggs, you should see a dent).
8. Reduce the mixer to med. and add the vanilla extract. Whip for 2-3 min more.
9. Remove the bowl from the mixer.
10. Using a rubber spatula, fold in 2-3 Tbs. worth of the flour mixture at a time (this should take around 10-12 folds for each addition).
11. Before the last addition of the flour, pour in the butter over the mixture, then immediately add the last batch of the flour mixture. Fold into the batter, using around 12-15 turns.
12. Place the batter in the prepared springform pan. Tap the pan on the bench a couple of times, and then place on a baking sheet. Finally place in the preheated oven.
13. Bake for between 30-40 min. The cake is done when it is springy to the touch, and has come away from the sides of the pan.
14. Remove the cake from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Wait 10 min before removing the springform pan.
15. Allow to cool to room temp.
16. Cut in half (or thirds etc).
Method: Cherry Filling
1. Drain the cherries, and keep the drained juice.
2. In a saucepan, dissolve the cornstarch with a small amount of the juice (2-3Tbs.)
3. Add 3/4 cup of the reserved cherry juice, and stir till combined.
4. Place over med/low heat until the mixture thickens and reaches a slow boil.
5. Remove from heat, and add the brandy and lemon juice. Then gently add the cherries.
6. Set aside to cool.
Method: Brandy Syrup
1. Place all the ingredients in a pan, and slowly bring to a boil.
1. Place the cream in a bowl.
2. whisk a little, then add the vanilla extract and sugar, and then whisk until quite thick.
1. Prick the base and top of the cake with a toothpick.
2. Using a pastry brush, brush the brandy syrup on both halves.
3. Using a piping bag filled with cream, pipe a circle of cream around the bottom half of the cake.
4. Place the cherry mixture in the center of the circle, and spread out to fill.
5. Place some cream on top of the cherries and spread out the cream with a butter knife.
6. Place the second half of the cake on top.
7. Spread the cream over the top of the cake, beginning with the top, and smoothing over the sides.
8. Estimate where you will slice the cake and make small cream 'hills' for the maraschino cherries to sit in.
9. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the grated chocolate, and put chocolate in your hands, and then place your hands on the sides of the cake to place chocolate on the sides of the cake.
10. Place the cherries in the little 'hills'.
11. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. This cake keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days.
- ► 2009 (74)
- ► 2008 (90)