Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lemon Cream Tart with Partly Candied Lemons

I adore this lemon cream. I have to say I am not usually partial whats so ever to the flavor of lemons, but even I will consume vast quantities of this delectable cream.

I have made it before, indeed I've made a tart out of it (see: http://rhid-baked.blogspot.com/2007/07/french-lemon-cream-tart.html this post has the full recipe for the cream). The difference is I made the base a simple pate sucre, and I added candied lemons for decoration.

I learned to candy lemons last week when I was doing the cake rotation. It's pretty simple, cut the lemons really fine (at school we used a meat slices, at home I used a mandolin set to the smallest setting), and then you simply heat up a su
gar water syrup until all the sugar is dissolved and it is near boiling (I used 10oz water and 12 oz sugar). It is best to candy your lemons the day before you need them and store them in the poaching liquid overnight in the fridge. Place the slices of lemons on the bottom of a bowl and pour over the syrup. Wait at least 5 hours until using them, preferably overnight so that the lemon pieces have been more fully penetrated with the sugar syrup and become translucent.

5 comments:

Elyse said...

Wow, a non-lemon lover adores this lemon cream?! I have to try this. It must be oustanding. Your tart with the pate sucre and the candied lemons looks so chic and fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I also love this lemon cream tart! Yours looks very pretty with the candied lemon slices.

Anonymous said...

This is sooo beautiful to look at, I like how you only put a few lemons on the side, just perrrfect.Figtreeapps

Unknown said...

Seriously the BEST Lemon dessert I've ever had! Enjoying the candied lemons with the tart was amazing. I could have you make one of these every week for me!

rhid said...

Thanks Tricia! I'm glad you liked it. I agree it is probably the best lemon dessert I've had...but I usually don't like lemon!