Monday, December 15, 2008

Fig, Roasted Hazelnuts, Fennel Seed and Rosemary Bread

Wow, it's pretty jam packed. This bread is a 'quick bread' meaning it doesn't require a starter dough made the night before. However, I did start it around 9 am and finished it at around 2pm... so I guess quick bread isn't really the right name for it. However, it was worth it.

It is half whole wheat, half white bread flour, so it is already nutty without the addition of the hazelnuts. The fennel certainly gave it a anise kick, and the rosemary added some more oomph. The figs were sweet and contributed a lot to the crust color. A tasty bread, good with cheeses as well as with butter.

Taken from the Jeffrey Hamelman book "Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes". An amazing bread book.

4 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

Nice bread! I m not much into bread making but new bread recipes always amaze me :)

Rhona said...

What beauties! I love bread with different layers of flavors and this screams it. I want to get a good bread cookbook. Do you think it is okay for me, a novice baker, to make that sort of purchase?

rhid said...

Rhonalala Yes! He's very good about explaining who to go about making the breads. He goes into details about how to steam your oven at home as well as make the recipes. I really like the book. The down side; he needs more pictures, but otherwise it's a wonderful book!

Rhona said...

Thanks for the suggestions.