Friday, August 17, 2007

Mexican Chocolate Cakes

OK, they are ugly, but they are amazing - trust me. They are rich (so rich I was unable to finish one), dense and sweet. The consistency is somewhat like a brownie, but the added cinnamon adds a touch of differentiation. Really tasty.

Ingredients: Cake
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
3/4 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tbs. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1.5 tsp. freshly ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt

Ingredients: Chocolate-Pecan Glaze
1 cup pecans
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup high quality dark cocoa powder (I simply used the Dutch-process cocoa powder I used for the cake)
2 cups sifted powdered sugar (sifted then measured)
1 Tbs. rum or vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt

Method: Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease a 9 inch tube pan, or a 10-12 cup bundt pan, or 6 mini bundt pans. This will also make nice cupcakes (depending on size between 12-18).
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium low heat.
4. Add the cocoa and whisk until smooth.
5. Add the water and whisk until smooth - do not bring to a boil.
6. Remove from the heat. Add the sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract all at once to the mixture. Whisk until smooth.
7. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon all at once; whisk until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated. Don't fret over the small lumps.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
9. If using one large pan bake for 40-45 min. I used mini bundts and I baked for 30min. Cupcakes require around 20min. The cake(s) should feel firm to the touch, and should pull away slightly from the pan.
10. Let the cake cool in pan for around 20 min, cupcakes for 10 min.

Method: Glaze
1. Arrange the pecans on a baking sheet and toast them for 7-9 min, at 350F.
2. Chop the pecans.
3. Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan.
4. Add the milk, cocoa, and powdered sugar and whisk until glossy.
5. Remove from heat and add the pecans, salt and rum.

Method: Assembly
1. Remove the Cake from the pan(s).
2. Spoon glaze over the cake(s).

This cake can be kept covered at room temp for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for 3 weeks without the glaze.

Taken from The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes from the Texan Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery & Cafe. By Rebecca Rather, and Alison Oresman pp. 67-9.

4 comments:

Monica H said...

I make a similar cake, but I didn't post the recipe on my blog, because IT IS UGLY! But they are so good :)

rhid said...

Haha! So true!

Megan said...

O.K. I just went through your blog and gained 5 pounds. everything looks delicious. even these ugly cakes. Not really, I dont think thier ugly at all. These, I want to try. I didn't want to tag every recipe so I just subscribed to the whole blog. So you'll see me around!

rhid said...

Thanks Megan!